Hello Finals Week!

December 16th, 2016 zzeng20

The turkey dinner has been digested (and passed) and hopefully the crazy Black Friday shoppers won’t return until next year. Now that the end of the semester is rolling in, it is time to buckle up your seat belts because…

here it comes. Finals week.

memefinals

Here, take mine!

In reflection of the last and first four months I spent here on the hill, I wanted to share some photos and stories that I think best described my overall experience so far.

I’m sure that many freshmen started out the academic year feeling apprehensive about leaving home, including myself. However, Holy Cross did a really great job with gradually immersing me into college life. I arrived a week before classes began for my first day of Odyssey. To this day, I am so thankful I signed up for the program which introduced me to such a connected and inspiring group of people. I want to talk forever about the friends and memories I made, but Odyssey deserves its own story, so I’ll save that for another week.

blog1-1

This was Odyssey 2020’s Group 8 (we lit!)  and the photo was taken at our end-of-the-program Banquet. S/O to my OMs Laura and Andrew!

I experienced many firsts this semester, including but not limited to: group trips to Walmart in a much-too-small uber, clown scares and a flooded campus. And I got everything on film.

After my Kimball shift, I learned that it had been pouring outside for the past few hours. The walk back to Brooks-Mulledy took a lot longer than usual after the campus turned into a waterpark…

blog1-3blog1-4

watch the video here

We celebrated our friend Princy’s 18th birthday in the Brooks-Mulledy common room. Sweet venue, no?

blog1-5

And with Halloween 2016 came Clown Scares 2016. But I think the campus should have been more cautious of the Grady twins. (My cousin, Carrie, and I diy-ed our costumes and won the SGA costume contest!)

blog1-6 blog1-7

DIY Grady Twins Costume:

– Two light blue dresses. You can go all out and buy vintage dresses if you’re willing to splurge or go with simple ruffle dresses like us. Ours is supposed to be off the shoulder but we pulled it over to get a more closely matching look.

– A pair of white hair clips. You’ll probably have more luck finding these in the children’s section of the store.

– 1” pink ribbon.

– White felt and white ribbon to diy peter pan collars if your dresses do not come with one. There are many tutorials on Youtube that show you how.

– Two pairs of white knee-high socks.

– Two pairs of black flats/high heels and black ribbon. We put the black ribbon over the shoes and taped the ends at the bottom to create an illusion of straps on a pair of mary janes.

– Optional, but recommended: add some dark circles by applying a layer of blush around the eyes and darkening with brown eyeshadow over. The Blush creates a flushed look under the brown and creates a more realistic look. Apply other makeup as desired.

– Optional, but recommended: curl the ends of your hair like the how the girls had it in the movie.

Whether you are someone who is thinking about coming to Holy Cross or a current student, know that college will be a time to change, develop your character, and create lasting memories. It is where you choose to have these memories that will make all the difference. I really hope that that place will be College of the Holy Cross for both you and me.

Until next time,

Caitlin